This page contains plenty of information to keep you in-the-know about how we manage snow and ice. Take a look at our snow operations brochure, read through the FAQ and check out our social media accounts for weekly tips and reminders to help everyone get through the winter as smoothly and safely as possible.
Questions or comments? Send them to PublicInput@battlecreekmi.gov or give a call to the Field Services Division at 269-966-3507.
Snowtifications are the weekly tips and reminders, related to snow operations, typically posted to city social media on Tuesdays.
We hope these help you learn more about our Field Services crew, and what it takes to clear snow in a city our size. Please read and share, and let us know if you have additional questions - PublicInput@battlecreekmi.gov.
It's time to pull in your street basketball hoops. Thanks to everyone who already has done this!
Crews begin in October tagging hoops with an orange notice about this -- typically close to 100.
During the winter especially, hoops fit into the "nuisance" category in several ordinances, because they can create a hazard for plows. The city is not responsible for damage to your hoop. Police may help support Field Services by speaking to neighbors who still have hoops out as the season progresses.
Please join us at Full Blast this winter to continue your basketball games! Court rental information is at http://bcparks.org/198/Rates.
Quick tips & information
- To find which of the 13 maintenance sections of the city you live in, head over to our web page of section maps.
- We have 300 miles of roads in the city that we maintain. That's 90 major roads, 205 local, and 34 state trunklines.
- We often plow in tandem or in a convoy, especially on major roads. When you see multiple plows driving together, please don't cut in. This is dangerous for all vehicles.
- The city does not have residential parking rules except in the declaration of a snow emergency.
- Why can't you plow my street now?
- The plow left some snow at the end of my driveway. Can you send someone to plow it out?
- I own a business downtown. How are streets plowed in the Central Business District?
- Can you tell me exactly when my street will be plowed?
- Why don't the trucks plow and salt on the way to their routes?