Planning continues for the reelection campaign visit with President Donald Trump and Vice President Mike Pence, and city staff has more information to share about road closures, parking, and more.
This type of visit is exciting for Battle Creek, and comes with many logistical and planning issues that staff are working through, in coordination with U.S. Secret Service, the presidential campaign, and other law enforcement staff.
As other information is released, we will share with local media, on the city’s website, and on the city’s social media.
- Reminder that the campaign rally is scheduled to begin at 7 p.m. at Kellogg Arena, in downtown Battle Creek. We anticipate a larger crowd than the arena’s capacity, so overflow will be outside at the adjacent Festival Market Square. Please watch the weather forecast, and dress for that day’s conditions, since December weather can be unpredictable, and we expect cold temperatures, and the potential for snow.
- There is no parking in the following downtown areas, starting at 5 p.m. Tuesday, Dec. 17:
- Full Blast (35 Hamblin Ave.), both sides of the building
- Wave Square, at McCamly and Jackson streets
- Riverwalk Centre parking ramp
- Hamblin Avenue parking ramp
- This will be a busy day, with many visitors to downtown. Please watch for parking signage and staffing at lots around the downtown. Private parking lots may seek payment. Anyone who parks in a restricted area, or otherwise parks illegally, may be towed.
We recommend the following two parking routes to get into the downtown area:
- Dickman Road, to Washington Avenue to Van Buren Street
- M-66 to Van Buren Street
An interactive parking map is available here, and shows public parking lots for use on Wednesday: https://battlecreekmi.maps.arcgis.com/apps/Minimalist/index.html?appid=cbea9e3784464ba8a5455f85ee3c65e2
- Around Kellogg Arena, please expect the following road closures on Dec. 18:
- Starting by 8 a.m., Hamblin Avenue will be closed from Capital Avenue SW to McCamly Street.
- Starting by 8 a.m., McCamly Street will be closed from Hamblin to Jackson Street.
- As the crowd increases at the arena and Festival Market Square, Jackson Street will close, then Michigan Avenue, moving north.
- Around the city, please watch for temporary closures of these major roads. If you are traveling the road at the time of closure, a law enforcement officer will direct you:
- Helmer Road
- Dickman Road
- Washington Avenue
- Capital Avenue SW will experience short, intermittent closures, but mostly will remain open
- Parking for only rally attendees who have a handicapped placard or license plate will be at the former Kmart site, at the corner of Capital Avenue SW and Dickman Road. Entry will be via Capital Avenue; watch for signs and staff.
This lot will be closed off starting at 5 p.m. Tuesday, Dec. 17, to prepare for Wednesday’s use.
Battle Creek Transit will provide shuttle service for these attendees from the parking lot to Kellogg Arena starting at about 1:45 p.m. Wednesday, and will provide return shuttle service back to the parking lot.
Related to city business and services:
- Full Blast recreation facilities will be closed Wednesday. Other city facilities will be open regular business hours.
- The City Clerk’s Office is accepting applications for vendor licenses, as required by city ordinance. More information and the application are online, www.battlecreekmi.gov. In the Your Government tab, click Departments, City Clerk, Business Licenses, and scroll to the bottom for “Vendor.”
The Clerk’s Office also is accepting applications for special events permits, required for events on city property or requesting city services. More information and the application are online, www.battlecreekmi.gov. In the Your Government tab, click Departments, City Clerk, Special Event Permits.
- Battle Creek Transit bus and Tele-Transit services will provide typical, weekday services Wednesday. However, please anticipate delays, especially into the afternoon.
Weekday bus service runs from 5:15 a.m. to 6:45 p.m., and Tele-Transit service runs from 5:15 a.m. to midnight.
- Due to the event, the following Battle Creek Transit routes must detour on Wednesday: 1W - West Michigan; 2E - Emmett/East Avenue; 3E - Main/Post; 3W- Kendall/Goodale; 4N - Capital Avenue NE. In addition, they cannot service the following downtown area stops during those detours:
- Capital N.E. - near Kellogg Foundation (4N)
- Capital N.E. - across from playground (3E)
- Capital N.E. and Van Buren - near Willard Library (4N)
- Hamblin at Carlyle (1W)(3W)
- Hamblin near Kellogg Institute (3E)
- Hamblin and Monroe (WKKI Parking Lot) (4N)
- McCamily at W. Michigan (2E)(3W)
- McCamily near Clara's on the River (2E)
- Michigan and Capital - Kellogg Foundation (3E)
- Michigan and Division - First United Methodist Church (3E)
Additional detours and closures may be necessary during the course of the day. For the most current Transit information, visit www.battlecreekmi.gov/Transit and sign up for Transit Text Alerts.
- For anyone living inside city limits, with trash and recycling pickup on Wednesdays, please have your items to the curb by 5 a.m. on the 18th. This is an hour earlier than usual, so that Waste Management crews can finish earlier, in light of the event.
We appreciate everyone’s questions and attention. Please stay tuned for more information as we near the event date next week.