Ready for the new year, the free 2019 wall calendar featuring Calhoun County Kalamazoo River Watershed images from local photographers is available at locations throughout the region.
The calendar is created by the Battle Creek Area Clean Water Partners. Some of the featured photos for each month are taken from the regular Clean Water Partners photo contest, which calls for seasonal photos from within the watershed. A contest is currently in progress, through the end of July.
The Kalamazoo River and St. Joseph River watersheds are the two major ones within Calhoun County. The calendar is meant to display the beauty within them and bring focus to groundwater, the source of our drinking water. Area neighbors can follow the simple steps outlined in the calendar to help protect our water from pollution sources, sustaining it for future generations.
Calendars are available at locations throughout the county, including city and township halls, and the downtown Calhoun County Visitors Bureau Welcome Center. They are available at both Battle Creek City Hall, 10 N. Division St., and the Department of Public Works, 150 S. Kendall St. It’s also available as a PDF on our website, www.battlecreekmi.gov. Navigate to Your Government, Public Works, Environmental Services.
The Battle Creek Area Clean Water Partners are the City of Battle Creek, City of Springfield, Calhoun County Road Department, Calhoun County Water Resources Commission, townships of Bedford, Emmett, Leroy, Newton and Pennfield, the Hart-Dole-Inouye Federal Center, Kellogg Community College, and Battle Creek area schools. The members have the common goal of protecting our area’s waterways. See www.bcwater.org for more information.
Add to your 2018 calendar the following list of dates for our various annual events and activities (watch our calendars and social media for the scrap tire collection events, which have yet to be scheduled, and additional events) –
- Yard waste curbside pickup (within city limits) – March 25-Nov. 29
- Recyclerama – April 6, 9 a.m.-1 p.m.; Bailey Park, 1392 Capital Ave. NE
- Spring cleanup (city residents) – May 6-10
- Children’s Water Festival – May 10
- Calhoun County Household Hazardous Waste collections – 1) May 4, 10 a.m.-noon, county building, parking lot at Hanover and Grand streets, Marshall; 2) June 1, 10 a.m.-noon, Toeller Building, 190 E. Michigan Ave., Battle Creek; 3) Sept. 28, 10 a.m.-noon, parking lot at Hanover and Grand streets, Marshall
- Watershed seasonal photo contest ends – July 31
- Rain barrel pickup (pre-order required; sale likely in April) – June 21, 4-6 p.m., city Department of Public Works, 150 S. Kendall St.
- Kanoe the Kazoo, TBD to Battle Creek – Aug. 10 – online registration starts June 1, kalamazooriver.org
- Calhoun County electronics collection – Aug. 24, 9 a.m.-1 p.m., city Department of Public Works, 150 S. Kendall St.
- Fall cleanup (within city limits) – Sept. 16-20
- Krazy for the Kazoo river cleanup – Oct. 6
- Fresh Christmas tree curbside pickup (city residents) – Dec. 26-Jan. 31, 2019