**We removed the Burmese graphic - we are so sorry. We thought that was a graphic with generic language like the others, and it had incorrect dates on it. We will get that fixed, and are sorry for the mistake.**
The City of Battle Creek will close our buildings at 3 p.m. today, and declare a snow emergency starting at 12 p.m. (noon) tomorrow – Saturday, Nov. 19.
In a snow emergency, parking on all city streets is prohibited, so our snow plow crews can clear roads as quickly and completely as possible.
This snow emergency is in effect until further notice. We will send more information when we believe it is safe to lift the emergency. As of this afternoon, the National Weather Service reports additional snow accumulations of 7-10” are possible; we predict 4-6” have fallen so far. While officials expect snow to taper off tonight, it will start again Saturday afternoon, into Saturday night, with gusty winds.
- Neighbors parked on the streets will have until noon Saturday to move their vehicles – After that, Battle Creek Police will work to make contact with the registered owners of vehicles still on the streets. Police will have vehicles towed as a last resort.
*If you do not have a driveway, or an alternate place to park, you can contact police ahead of time, or leave your contact information on your dashboard. Call 269-966-3322 or 269-781-0911.*
- Unfortunately, the Harper Creek Optimist Club announced they have canceled tomorrow’s Battle Creek Christmas Parade, for everyone’s safety. The parade team is working on a potential new date.
- Battle Creek Transit will continue regular hours and service on bus routes. We will share updates if that changes.
You can sign up for Transit-specific alerts at battlecreekmi.gov/notifyme, in the Alert Center category. For help planning your trip, call Transit at 269-966-3474.
- As of this writing, Tele-Transit and BCGo trips will happen as scheduled, and both services will operate during regular hours. For Tele-Transit, that is until midnight tonight, and from 9:15 a.m.-5 p.m. Saturday. For BCGo, that is until 9 p.m. today, and from 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Saturday.
- Full Blast Recreation Center also will close at 3 p.m. today, and will remain closed Saturday and Sunday. This will not affect the MHSAA volleyball tournament participants using Full Blast.
- Republic Servicesis working through regular Friday pickups today. If road conditions worsen, they may return to some areas Saturday morning, or Monday, Nov. 21. We will share any delay information we receive from Republic.
- To receive garbage/recycling-specific alerts, visit battlecreekmi.gov/notifyme and sign up for email and/or text alerts under the Alert Center category.
- Call Republic with specific questions at 269-216-8008.
- You can follow city news and information in a variety of ways:
- Our website, battlecreekmi.gov. You can sign up for a variety of email and/or text notifications at battlecreekmi.gov/notifyme.
- Opt in by text for city news and alerts. Text BCNEWS in one text, and BCALERTS in another to 844-673-7474. Phone plan fees may apply.
Please remember that state routes and major roads are the first priority for snow plowing. Crews will move back and forth between major roads and neighborhood streets as much as necessary.
We appreciate everyone’s patience and contributions to keeping the community safe through this winter weather. Follow our weekly Snowtifications on Facebook and Nextdoor; we share tips and reminders throughout the winter season.