About the Department
- City ordinances require the City Treasurer to collect and deposit money owed the city for various services and taxes.
- State law also requires the Treasurer to serve on the Police and Fire Pension Board, which oversees and administers the pension fund.
- The Treasurer receives payments for utility bills, invoices, income taxes, and special assessments.
- The Treasurer also bills and collects property taxes for the city, schools, county, library, community college and state. The money collected is periodically sent to the other taxing jurisdictions.
- In addition to billing and collecting, the Treasurer's division receives, records and deposits all city revenue.
No payments for 2016 real property taxes (summer or winter taxes on your home or land) will be accepted after February 28, 2017. On March 1, 2017 all real property taxes owed are transferred to the Calhoun County Treasurer for collection. Unpaid special act parcels, buildings on leased land and personal property taxes will remain with the City for collection. (see below)
2016 Real Property Taxes
2016 real property taxes (your home and land) are delinquent and can no longer be paid to the City of Battle Creek. In accordance with state tax law, real property taxes have been transferred to:
Calhoun County Treasurer
315 W Green Street
Marshall, MI 49068
Contact the county treasurer's office for payoff information at 269-781-0807.
2016 Personal Property Taxes
2016 Personal Property taxes are delinquent and still held by the City Treasurer for collection. Other parcel classifications collected by the City are for buildings on leased land, IFT (PA 198), OPRA, NEZ and Public Act 189 parcels.