About the Department
- City ordinances require the City Treasurer to collect and deposit money owed the city for various services and taxes.
- State law also requires the Treasurer to serve on the Police and Fire Pension Board, which oversees and administers the pension fund.
- The Treasurer receives payments for utility bills, invoices, income taxes, and special assessments.
- The Treasurer also bills and collects property taxes for the city, schools, county, library, community college and state. The money collected is periodically sent to the other taxing jurisdictions.
- In addition to billing and collecting, the Treasurer's division receives, records and deposits all city revenue.
2017 Property Taxes2017 Summer property taxes were sent out July 1, 2017. The due date to pay the summer taxes without penalty was Monday, August 21, 2017. As of August 22, a one-time penalty of 3% on the base tax has been added to the amount due. Property taxes are searchable on line to view the latest tax amount due. Go to "Doing Business" and click on Search Property Data.
is no longer available. The deadline to submit an application was September 14, 2017.
2017 Winter property taxes were sent out December 1, 2017. The winter property taxes are due and payable on or before February 14, 2018. Any unpaid balance for winter taxes will be assessed a 3% penalty on 2/15/18. Any payment received after 2/14/18 will require the additional 3% penalty on the base tax in order to pay winter taxes in full. Payments with a legible U.S. Postal Service postmark on or before February 14 may be considered paid on time by the Treasurer if received on or before February 21, 2018.
2016 Real Property Taxes
2016 real property taxes (your home and land) are delinquent and can no longer be paid to the City of Battle Creek. In accordance with state tax law, real property taxes have been transferred to:
Calhoun County Treasurer
315 W Green Street
Marshall, MI 49068
Contact the county treasurer's office for payoff information at 269-781-0807.
2016 Personal Property and Special Act Taxes
2016 Personal Property taxes are delinquent and still held by the City Treasurer for collection. Other parcel classifications collected by the City are for buildings on leased land, IFT (PA 198), OPRA, NEZ and Public Act 189 parcels.2016 Real Property Taxes