Join our team
Consider being a member of the Battle Creek Fire Department team. Opportunities for advancement are good in this modern firefighting force. Employment benefits, stability, and the overall work environment are excellent.
We are looking for a driven group of candidates that represents the diverse community we serve in Battle Creek. Read on to learn more and we hope you will consider joining us.
Chief Dave Schmaltz explains the process you'll go through to apply:
The city is accepting applications starting April 23, 2016 -- email to email@example.com, fax to 269-966-3644, or mail to City Hall, 10 N. Division St., Battle Creek, MI 49014, with attention to Human Resources. Applications will be accepted through July 8, 2016.
There's is a non-refundable $20 testing fee at the time of application submission. Please note that, if you email or fax your application, it's not complete until you submit the fee payment. City Hall business hours are 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday.
For our written exam, we use human resources company I/O Solutions. As Chief explains in the above video, you can purchase a study guide to help you prepare. The standard guide is $6.95 and the enhanced, which includes a practice test, is $19.95.
Follow this link to consider purchasing a study guide from I/O Solutions.
The Employment Process
- Request, complete, and return an application for employment (PDF).
- Participate in the entry-level written Civil Service Examination, scheduled for Aug. 8, 2016.
- If examination is accomplished with a 70 percent or higher, a Physical Agility exam will be scheduled. The Physical Agility consists of an obstacle course simulation of various firefighting tasks, with time restrictions. Practice times are allowed before the actual testing occurs; see below.
- Upon satisfactory completion of the Physical Agility, an oral interview is held before a panel. Practice times also will be available for those who may not have participated in an oral exam before.
- The scores from the written and oral examinations are combined and individuals are placed on an eligibility list. When job openings become available, candidates are considered in groups of five, starting at the top of the list. This list will remain in effect for 2 years.
Civil Service Commission
The Civil Service Commission is the board that oversees the process for hiring and promotion within the Fire Department.
See more information on the Civil Service Commission through this link to the City Clerk's webpage.
Physical Agility Test - practice sessions
Once you pass the written Civil Service Exam, your physical agility test will be scheduled. In the meantime, you can join us for a practice run, to experience what you'll need to do during the actual pass/fail exam period.
All practice opportunities will take place at Kellogg Arena, on Hamblin Avenue across from Full Blast. Contact the Fire Department with additional questions at 269-966-3519.
- Tuesday, Aug. 2 -- 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Wednesday, Aug. 3 -- 3 to 8 p.m.
- Thursday, Aug. 4 -- 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Tuesday, Aug. 23 -- 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Wednesday, Aug. 24 -- 3 to 8 p.m.
- Thursday, Aug. 25 -- 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.