Join our team
Consider being a member of the Battle Creek Fire Department team. Opportunities for advancement are good in this modern firefighting force. Employment benefits, stability, and the overall work environment are excellent.
We are looking for a driven group of candidates that represents the diverse community we serve in Battle Creek. Read on to learn more, and we hope you will consider joining us.
An application process takes place every two years to develop an entry-level firefighter hiring list.
In July 2023, the application period is open now! Deadline to apply is Aug. 14.
There is no longer a testing fee. You can get an online study guide for $20.
Minimum requirements to apply: High school graduate or GED equivalent; 18 years or older.
- Complete the city's employment application.
- If you meet the minimum requirements, participate in the entry-level written Civil Service Examination.
- If you receive a grade of 70 percent or higher, you move on to the physical agility exam. The physical agility consists of an obstacle course simulation of various firefighting tasks, with time restrictions.
- If you pass the agility exam, you will have an oral interview.
- The scores from the written and oral exams are combined, and those who receive an average 70 percent or better receive a place on the eligibility list. When job openings become available, candidates are considered in groups of five, starting at the top of the list. This list will remain in effect for two years.
Please review the city Employment Process page for more information.
Civil Service Commission
The Civil Service Commission is the board that oversees the process for hiring and promotion within the Fire Department.
See more information on the Civil Service Commission on the City Clerk's web page.