City positions open to the public may be posted in any or all of the following:
- Area college/university placement offices
- Area minority and female organizations
- City website
- Local newspapers
- Professional magazines/websites
- State employment service
Applicants must submit an application. If you have any issues with the application, please contact the office at City Hall at 269-966-3377 or via email.
All applications, cover letters, and resumes are reviewed to determine an applicant’s eligibility for open positions. Unsolicited applications and/or resumes will not be kept on file.
- Those who meet eligibility requirements receive information regarding the need to test or interview.
- Those who do not meet the eligibility requirements are sent acknowledgments, if at all possible.
Tests are administered, if required.
Interviews are conducted.
Background screens are conducted on successful applicants. These screens may include any or all of the following:
- Criminal, driving and employment history
- Education/certification/license verification
- Other qualifications required of the position
All selected applicants must successfully complete a pre-employment drug screen (safety sensitive City positions requiring a Commercial Drivers' License (CDL) must pass a drug and alcohol test), and may be required to successfully complete a pre-employment physical, possibly including a back x-ray.
The City of Battle Creek is an equal opportunity employer. No applicant for employment shall be discriminated against on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, disability, or other criteria prohibited by city, state or federal law.
Recruitment announcements for each City of Battle Creek job open to the public will list the following:
- Closing date
- Educational requirements
- Experience requirements
- License requirements
- Job duties
- Salary information
- Testing requirements
Applicants with disabilities should notify Human Resources if special accommodations are required. The City will attempt to make reasonable accommodations for applicants, as specified under state and federal law.
If your address or telephone number changes, please notify Human Resources at 269-966-3377 or email the department.