City Clerk


Starting June 15, 2020 City Hall will reopen to the public on a limited basis, M-F from 9:00 am to 4:00 pm.  The City Clerk’s Office is available for the following services:

FOIA, Business Licences, Burn Permits, Voter Registration, Special Event Permits & City Commission Packets.  Note:  Absentee ballot applications should be mailed, emailed or dropped off in the blue drop box located in the parking lot of City Hall.

Absentee Ballot Applications mailed to all Registered Voters

Absentee Ballot Applications were mailed to all 38,410 registered voters within the City of Battle Creek last week so they can take part in the August 4th Primary Election and the November 3rd General Election.  

Absentee voting (voting by mail) is easy, convenient, safe and secure, and every voter in Michigan has the right to vote an absentee ballot. 

To be placed on the Permanent AV list, click the Absentee Ballot tab on the Elections page and complete the form.  Once added to the Permanent AV list, you will receive an application via the United States Mail before every election.   There is no commitment.  Even if you apply to vote by mail, you can change your mind and vote in person.

The Clerk’s Office would like to make it clear that sending people absentee ballot applications doesn’t automatically guarantee them a ballot - they still have to fill out the application, sign it and mail it to the City Clerk’s Office, drop it off in the new drop box located in front of City Hall, or scan it or photograph it and email it to the Clerk’s Office, where signatures will be verified against the voter registration record before a ballot will be sent.

We would like to ask all residents to return any mail they receive for a person who no longer lives at their address, to simply write “Return to Sender – No Longer Resides at this Address” on the envelope and place it back in the mail.  This assists the local clerks to update the address and status of all registered voters.   

Voters can use the Michigan Voter Information Center at to verify their voter registration and track their absentee ballot.

City Commission petition packets now available

Those interested in running for a position on the City Commission in the November 3, 2020 election may begin collecting petition signatures on Monday, June 1, 2020.  

Due to the closure of city buildings to the public, candidates must call the Clerk’s office @ (269) 966-3348 to schedule an appointment to pick up packets.

All 9 seats on the commission are available this year.

At-large and Mayoral candidates must be registered voters in the city and collect at least 100, but not more than 150, valid signatures of registered Battle Creek voters.

Ward candidates must be registered voters and residents in the ward for which they are running, and collect at least 50, but not more than 75, valid signatures of Battle Creek voters registered in their ward.

Petitions and an Affidavits of Identity are due to the City Clerk’s Office, Room 111, 10 N. Division St., Battle Creek, by 4 p.m. on Tuesday, July 21, 2020.

This and other important information, as well as links to other documents candidates must complete, are now available under the ’Candidate Filing Information’ tab on the Elections page.


The City Clerk is responsible for providing specialized clerical and administrative services to the Mayor and the City Commis
sion; provides for the issuance of licenses as outlined in City Ordinance; acts as the Freedom of Information coordinator; manages City cemeteries; maintains all public records of the City; provides the coordination, direction, and conduct of all the elections within the City; acts as ex-officio member of the Civil Service Commission; maintains firefighter personnel files, and conducts testing activities and preparation of Eligibility Lists for positions within the Fire Department as directed by the Civil Service Commission.  The City Clerk administers the Oath of Office to City officials, police officers and firefighters and provides notary service (some fees may apply for notary service).

Business licenses such as amusement places and devices, pawnbroker, peddlers/vendors, secondhand goods, tree trimmers, and used car lots are also issued in the City Clerk's Office.

Burn permits, special event permits and block party permits can be obtained through the City Clerk's Office as well.

The links to the left  provide information related to the Clerk's office. If you don't find what you are looking for, please contact the City Clerk's Office.